Monday 19 November 2007

Raspberry and marshmallow swiss roll

On Friday evening I made a bit of a feast for Paul and I. I started off by making the dessert which was a raspberry and marshmallow swiss roll. It was ever so easy to make although I did have a bit of a problem rolling it up as the cream and raspberries spurted out of the edge. It didn't look as good as I'd hoped but tasted delicious and Paul was very impressed. He thinks we should have desserts more often. I really liked this and think it would be good with other fruits especially strawberries. I'm a bit of a chocoholic so I think I might try a chocolate version of this too.

Serves 6

For the cake:
3 eggs
75g golden caster sugar
75g self-raising flour
butter, for greasing
For the filling:
5 tbsp raspberry jam
125mdouble cream, whipped
100g marshmallows
100g raspberries
icing sugar, to dust

1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
2. For the cake, crack the eggs into a bowl, add the sugar and beat together until pale and fluffy. Fold in the flour.
3. Grease and line a 23 x 30cm/9 x 12in swiss roll tin. Pour the cake mixture into the tin and smooth the top with a wet spatula.
4. Transfer to the oven and bake for 7-10 minutes, or until golden-brown and springy to the touch. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly, then turn out onto a sheet of baking paper.
5. For the filling, spread the jam over the cake, followed by the cream.
6. Place the marshmallows into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on full for about 15 seconds, or until beginning to soften. Spoon the marshmallows on top of the cream.
7. Spread the raspberries along the edges of the cake, then roll the cake up in a cigar shape. Dust with icing sugar.

No comments: