Tuesday 22 January 2008

Swimming in soup


After all the excesses of Christmas I have been trying to eat a little healthier. I seem to have a bit of a thing for soup at the moment and have been trying out lots of different recipes. There is nothing nicer than a hot bowl of soup and some crusty bread. It is one of my favourite things to have especially when it is cold and wet outside.


One of my favourite foods is curry. I like all different kinds of curry and when I found a recipe for curried vegetable soup I just had to give it a try. I thought all the vegetables would be good for my new healthy eating lifestyle too.

Luckily I had everything in the house so I set to and made the soup. It was ever so easy to make although did take a little while to chop up the different vegetables. I don't mind doing this at all although chopping up onions always brings a few tears to my eyes. It was very easy to prepare and then just took about twenty minutes to cook through.

I served this soup with some crusty bread as I just love that with soup. I think pitta breads might go really well with this too. I really like vegetable soup and the curry paste that was added to this recipe was really nice. I got slightly carried away and put in a bit extra so my soup was very spicy. If you prefer it milder then it would be fine to just use a little bit. I have bought the left overs into work today to have for my lunch. I just hope that no one will mind the curry smell when I heat it up. I would really recommend this soup as it was lovely and we will definately be having it again.

This recipe makes about 4 bowls of soup.

15g butter or oil of your choice
1 onion, chopped
2 celery sticks, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
200g mushrooms, sliced
1 litre vegetable stock
1 carrot, chopped
1 parsnip, chopped
2 tablespoons medium curry paste
chopped fresh coriander
salt and freshly ground black pepper
plain yoghurt

Melt the butter in a large saucepan and saute the onion, celery and garlic until softened but not browned.
Add the mushrooms and cook for 2-3 mins.
Pour in the veg stock and bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat, add the carrot, parsnip and curry paste and cook for about 20mins untl the veg is tender
Transfer half the soup to a food processor and blend for about 15 secs until smooth. Return it to the rest of the soup in the pan.
Add some chopped coriander and reheat gently.
Ladle the soup into warm bowls and top with a spoonful of yoghurt and a bt of coriander.

5 comments:

Georgina Ingham | CulinaryTravels said...

The soup looks really tasty Teresa.
The soup bowls are lovely too, are they LK items?

Ms O said...

Mmmm...that soup does look wonderful, Teresa. Chopping onions brings tears to my eyes like they do yours. Recently, I discovered that putting them in the frig for about 20 minutes before cutting and chopping helps immensely.

Lea x

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

Mmmm.... yum... You can't go too far wrong with a nice spicy soup at this time of year!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this recipe Teresa, I made the soup a few hours after seeing it here. It was delicious and will be a regular thing in the cold months.

The curry really does lift the taste.

Francesca x

Porcelain Deep Cereal/Soup Bowls said...

nice blog and very helpful information thanks.