Tuesday 1 January 2008

Chocolate Truffles


I haven't spent a lot of time in the kitchen over the last few weeks. I've spent a lot of time visiting relatives and friends over the festive period so haven't done a lot of cooking. I spent Christmas with my parents so didn't even have a Christmas dinner to cook as it was all done by my mum who did a marvellous job. I did make the dessert though.


I made some chocolate truffles to give to some relatives. I got some pretty little boxes to put them in and they make a lovely little gift. They were absolutely delicious and I shall definately be making them again. They are so easy to make but look so impressive.


This is the recipe that I used. I think they would be delicious with a little rum in them too.

275g (10oz) 70% dark chocolate, broken into pieces
250ml (9fl oz) double cream
50g (2oz) unsalted butter, at room temperature
50g (20z) cocoa powder

1. Place the chocolate in a large bowl. Bring the cream to the boil and pour it over the chocolate. Stir gently until the chocolate has melted, trying not to create bubbles. Leave to cool for 2 mins. 2. Add the butter in two stages, stiring gently. Once the butter is incorporated, the ganache should be smooth and glossy with no oil slick on the surface. Set the truffle mixture in the fridge for a minimum of 3 hours or overnight.
3. Remove the ganache from the fridge about 15 mins before you want to make the truffles, depending on room temperature. Put the cocoa in a bowl. Ensure your hands are cold and dry, then dust them with cocoa.
4. Take spoonfuls of the ganache mixture (use a teaspoon or tablespoon depending on how large you like your truffles) and roll the mixture into a ball in your cocoa-dusted hands. Drop each shaped truffle into the bowl of cocoa, turn it around and then toss it between your palms to remove any excess powder.
5. The truffles can then be returned to the fridge and kept in an airtight container.

No comments: